The NFL combine is just around the corner. Soon we’ll be awash in drills, measurements, and rampant analysis about players whose stock is rising or falling as a result. Does any of it matter?
The short answer is: “Of course it matters.” The longer answer is: “Different drills matter more or less for different positions, and sometimes for different players at the same position.” That of course brings up a host of follow-up questions, like “Which drills matter the most for running backs?” and “Does the 40-yard dash matter?” and “Does any of this stuff have predictive value?” Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
What follows is a summary of our existing research on the NFL draft. Over the years, many of our analysts have pondered the importance of the combine. Along the way, they’ve garnered some solid insights. Bookmark this landing page, and keep coming back until you’re caught up on the reading list. By the time you’re done, you’ll be able to dominate the office water cool draftnik conversation.
NFL Combine Analysis
I’ve organized this chronologically. Try using CTRL+F on your keyboard to search for a keyword of interest. Let us know in the comments what you’d like to see us cover next.
- The combine and a unified theory of athleticism – Fantasy Douche
- Why are pro day 40s faster than combine 40s – Fantasy Douche
- The issue of height, continuous variables, and cutoffs – Fantasy Douche
- Predicting QB draft position – Jim Kloet
- Dismissing combine results based on prior beliefs – Fantasy Douche
- Guide to combine drills – Jon Moore
- A modest proposal to eliminate the 40-yard dash – Jon Moore
- Combine in context: Summary of measurables – Jim Kloet
- How to find the best UDFA RBs – Jon Moore
- Combine drills that matter for tight ends – Kevin Cole
- Combine drills that matter for WRs – Kevin Cole
- Combine drills that matter for RBs – Kevin Cole
- Does ball velocity tell us anything about QB success? – Chris Hatcher
- Combine invites and why they matter – Rich Hribar
- Pro day vs. combine: Which to trust? – Kevin Cole
- How much does the combine matter for wide receivers? – Kevin Cole