Are you a contender or a pretender for the 2023 crown? Curtis Patrick provides a blueprint for conducting your initial midseason dynasty team performance assessment and how to plan your next steps.
Dynasty Command Center 2023: Week 7
Most 12-team dynasty leagues have standardized to a six-team playoff with three weeks of postseason play beginning in Week 15 to determine a champion. You know what this means?
Your 2023 dynasty fantasy football regular season is probably 42.8% complete. If it seems like this season is flying by, it’s because it is. As a veteran baller with over 25 fantasy seasons in my rearview, I can promise they seem to pass more quickly each year.
Fortunately, engaged dynasty managers are able to squeeze additional enjoyment (stop and smell the roses!) out of the season through a process of critical review of each squad at important checkpoints. After Week 4, I provided some framework for managers looking to make some early season trades.
- 4-0 teams
- stay ahead by improving your weakest starting lineup position or adding high-end flexes to protect against injuries
- 3-1 teams that have scored considerably more than league-average points
- these squads are basically in the same position as the 4-0 teams
- 2-2 or 1-3 teams fall into two categories
- young squads on the rise should remain patient as their players emerge
- old 2-2 or 1-3 teams should seek to move a veteran to hedge against continued win-loss struggles in the coming month
- 0-4 squads
- you’re done, liquidate name-brand aging veterans for draft capital, acquire draft picks and young players
Now a few more weeks in, each manager has more team data and more league data to review. While team record is one important way to gauge your chances in 2023, it’s way more complex now. There are 3-3 teams and 4-2 teams that should probably self-select out of the playoff race. There are 2-4 teams that should make big trades.
Using one of my own rosters, I’ll evaluate my own squad and several others in the league to give you a sense of my midseason process.
How to Evaluate Dynasty Teams During the Season
Format: 1QB, PPR, TE premium
Highest possible prize: $1300