Shawn Siegele looks at six fundamental elements for maintaining the flexibility in startups that will let you build decade-long dynasties.
As we hit training camp, new dynasty leagues will be sprouting up all over the place. I just had the privilege of drafting new RV TriFlex leagues with Patrick Kerrane and Matt Jones. From draft slot to draft style to trade culture, the two startups couldn’t have been more different.
In today’s lesson, we’ll look at the six key elements for maintaining flexibility early in drafts, and I’ll detail their importance for navigating two wildly divergent startup scenarios. We’ll incorporate two recent lessons and introduce four additional tactics that will allow you to flourish in any draft environment.
You can execute the fundamental principles of the Permanent Championship Window in every startup, but how those principles manifest will often be very different. A one-size-fits-all draft plan will leave you with far less overall value than an approach with multiple levels of built-in flexibility.
The 2022 Dynasty Workshop
- Trading Down in a Startup Draft Is Like Having a Superpower
- How to Manipulate a Rookie Draft
- Rookie Draft Trade Tactics: A Perpetual Motion Machine That Prints Money
- Blockbuster Trades – Keep the Permanent Championship Window Open
- Round 1 Tactics Will Determine Your Fate for Years
- 5 Orphan Tactics for Building a Long-Term Juggernaut
- The Importance of Building Future Year Pick Depth
- Maintaining Your Flexibility to Win in Year 1 . . . or Benefit from Losing
- Player Valuations and Philosophy
- Optimal Lineup Construction and When to Pivot
- Putting the Lessons Together for a Win Now/Win Later Juggernaut
This was my favorite lesson to write, and I even had to cut 1,000 words and spin off a few ideas for future lessons.